Healthy Snickers Bar
This recipe meets all my criteria, both as a health coach and busy working mum:
- easy to make
- naturally gluten-free
- naturally dairy-free
- contains healthy fats
- contains protein
To make the filing you will need:
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup organic creamy peanut butter (either crunchy or smooth)
- 2 tablespoons rice/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Melt: 1/2 cup coconut oil in a small pot (I use a Bain-mairie).
- Stir in:1 cup creamy peanut butter, 2 tablespoons rice/maple syrup (or honey, or no sweetener at all), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt.
- Stir until smooth (be patient, it takes 2-3 minutes. Warm it up on the stove if you need help getting it smooth).
- Line an 8×8 baking dish (or equivalent) with parchment paper. Pour the mixture in and smooth the top
- Set in freezer for 1-2 hours, until set. We’re relying on the coconut oil to set and hold these together, so the time to set will depend on your climate.
To make the raw chocolate you will need:
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of raw cacao
- 1 dessertspoon of rice/maple syrup
- Melt coconut oil
- Mix in cacao and syrup
- Pour over peanut butter filling
- Set in the freezer for 30 minutes +
- Cut into 1-inch squares with a sharp knife. Enjoy a few pieces every day to remember that good food is simple food!
- Store in fridge or freezer.
A note on coconut oil
We’re relying on the chilled coconut oil to set our bar. Coconut oil makes a great no-bake dessert binder. It’s also full of lauric acid, which is a medium-chain fatty acid with loads of health benefits. But it will melt quite quickly, which is why I recommend storing your snickers bar in the freezer so when you take it out it doesn’t melt too quickly.
Hope you love this recipe! If you’d like more delicious healthy chocolate recipes, grab my free CHOCOLATE E-BOOK where you’ll also learn how to make:
- healthy raw chocolate
- creamy chocolate mousse
- rich and filling chocolate smoothie
- hot cacao
- frozen banana peanut butter bites
HEALTHY CHOCOLATE TREATS E-BOOK
To your vibrant health, Miranda xx